nv-l

Re: Cisco Device packages

1999-01-29 09:45:09
Subject: Re: Cisco Device packages
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:45:09 -0500
I do a lot of this. After the OID gets added to the oid_to_type file, how
do you get the
new type and symbol reflected in the map? The simplest is just to delete
and rediscover
the node. If you don't want to do that, do an ovotpofix. You can do the
whole ovtopofix -a,
or you can do   ovtopofix -o <oid> for the snmp sysobjectid of the device
you are working
on. You will see a message about it being changed to a GATEWAY or a STAR
HUB or
whatever. It may then appear right away in the correct submap (routers get
promoted to
the IP Internet level, hubs etc get promoted to the Network submap level).
Often for Hubs
I then need to unmanage/manage the segment they appear in, and then they
get
promoted.

This generally works fine for getting devices moved to the correct level in
the map, and
supplying symbols for devices getting their symbol bitmap from Netview (ie
the
symbols that by default are used for the code used in oid_to_type). I have
not had good
luck getting special entries in oid_to_sym reflected in this manner.  So
then the choice is
either delete and rediscover, or manually change it to the right symbol
using the  context
menu (edit..change symbol).

Doing this without rediscovery usually leaves nodes without vendor and
agent fields set
in the object database. I find those fields useful. So I plan on
rediscovering just to get those
set. In fact I will usually set up a collection of things that are snmp,
but don't have vendor
set just to flush them out.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Ours works.
On the routers make sure you have

access-list 1 permit xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address of SNMP device - netview
machine)
snmp-server community Public RO 1
snmp-server community Private RW 1

On the Netview machine you'll need to configure your SNMP options;

To modify entries in this file, use the SNMP Configuration commands
which are accessible through the X11/Motif graphical user interface
(OVW menu: Options->SNMP Configuration) or through the xnmsnmpconf
command line options.

(from /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf)

The SNMP configuration will need to match your router community strings for
the device.

Good luck!
David Barrett
Network Design and Management
david.s.barrett AT bankamerica DOT com

"Radcliffe Jr, Arthur W" <arthur.radcliffe AT AETNA DOT COM> on 01/28/99
01:38:10
PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>