nv-l

Very Newbie question

1999-01-28 00:58:10
Subject: Very Newbie question
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:58:10 -0500

Regarding simple determination of the root cause of outages, the short
answer is no.
The marketing answer is that  there are add-on products to help with this,
such as the
Tivoli Network Connectivity Manager or tavve's products (www.tavve.com).

Rea life, Netview provides you with eye-ball correlation. The human
operator can easily tell
which down node is the nearest. It provides the tools for correlation of
events, but you have to
know the relationships and probably code scripts to handle events in
accordance with those
relationships.

I suspect that you are wondering if you can limit the number of pages or
emails you get when
there is an outage. Yes, you can. The simplest approach is to pick the most
important
devices, backbone routers, etc, define a Collection for them, and create a
Ruleset that
handles events from or about devices in that Collection, then do some
automation on them,
like send a page, send an email, whatever.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Hi all, my apologies ahead of time for this being a rather newbie question.

We will soon be implementing 5.1 to monitor our networks. I am just
wondering if anyone could offer some of their opinion as to the
notification options in Netview and their performance. By this I mean, if a
node goes down, and I want to send an email or a page, is this easily done?
I'm assuming it is. But I am also wondering if it offers any degree of
intelligence in it's reporting, ie. if a group of nodes goes down, it is
able to pinpoint which one is most likely the culprit..

Any advice/opinions are welcome!

Thanks for your time

Matt
mda AT unb DOT ca