nv-l

data collection on switches

1999-01-25 19:04:52
Subject: data collection on switches
From: Bob Engley <bob.engley AT UALBERTA DOT CA>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:04:52 -0700
Further to my note re: collecting data on cisco 2916/24 switches last week,
does anyone know if ifInOctets/ifOutOctets on a switch (any switch!)
represent the actual traffic on these ports?
The numbers I am getting from snmpCollect sure don't look real!
And graphing in real time (from the mib browser) doesn't look any better.
My gut feeling is that the numbers are misleading, in that they don't
represent the traffic, but some aggregate count???
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

--
/in haste
/Bob