nv-l

Re: Netview Databases

1999-01-25 08:04:39
Subject: Re: Netview Databases
From: Christopher Connors <Christopher_Connors AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:04:39 -0500
Hi Art,

>From my experiences with testing NetView with both flat files and
relational databases, the NetView EUI performs
much better using flat files.   Simply put, Netview was designed many years
ago to make use of flat files to
store the data.    If its performance your after, stick with flat files.
If your after creating customized reports based on the
data, then RDBMS may be the way to go because of its power to create
customized SQL queries.

If you do wish to convert over to an RDBMS and you are running NetView 5.0
or 5.1 (i.e. not V4), then I'd recommend
you look at the IBM/Tivoli Redbood titled "Using Databases with Tivoli
Applications" -  SG24-5112.   This redbook does
an excellent job in describing how to best tune and configure your system
for using an RDBMS via RIM.

Regards, Chris

-------------
Hi all;

I was wanting to get some ideas as to how other folks are handling the
databases within NetView on AIX.  We are currently using the standard
flat file format, but are considering enacting a sybase or oracle
database solution as our database is quite large, and will only get
larger as time flies by.

I wanted to know what kind of performance issues would be involved with
converting to a third party database solution.  Would we take a hit, or
gain ground.  Are there any challenges that I need to know about?
Should the database be run on a seperate server, or can (should) it run
on the same box as NetView.

Also, how many objects are your databases running out there?

Thanks!

Art DeBuigny