nv-l

Re: NetView Databases

1999-01-23 10:42:43
Subject: Re: NetView Databases
From: Drew Van Order <dvanorder AT DTTUS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:42:43 -0600
     We have been using Oracle under AIX for awhile, and it seemed to work
     fine. However, we find that we very seldom use much of the
     functionality...one of our team set out and dug into the NV API, and
     has written code to extract and manipulate whatever data we need from
     flat file, which now goes into a MS SQL Server DB backending Vantive
     Help Desk. Very fast and tidy, even across the wire.

     This looks to be our solution fow awhile, even though it takes effort
     on the front end, it means one less RDBMS to support. We have been
     waiting for RIM to MS SQL Server from AIX, but don't know the
     availability. The reasoning is that just about anyone can maintain and
     keep SQL Server happy--Oracle is more work, and we don't like having
     to bother our Oracle DBA's when help is needed.

     If you stick with Oracle, I suggest keeping it on the same server for
     performance reasons....we know when RIM to SQL Server is ready, we
     will be crossing our fingers over the performance across the wire.

     Regards,

     DVO