nv-l

assigning variables in a script

1999-01-19 10:30:22
Subject: assigning variables in a script
From: Lucy Premus <lpremus AT METLIFE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:30:22 -0500
Okay.  I have another question regarding variables and scripts.  But before
I ask this one, just wondering if anyone knows the answer to my previous
question?.  How do you remove preceding spaces in a variable?  Meaning if I
have a variable that looks like this
'                           TRUE', but all I really need is just the word
TRUE.  How do I get rid of the spaces before the word?

My other question is if my script is reading a text file and processing
each line, how do I parse out each word on that line and assign it to a
variable?  For example, the line looks like this:   'resourcename Jan 15
10:00:00 EST 1999' and I just want to capture 'resourcename' and assign it
to one variable and capture  '10:00:00' and assign it to another variable.

BTW....In case anyone is wondering, I do have a Korn Shell programming
book, but I can't seem to find this information in there.  I'm sure its
there, in some form, but is it english?   Thanks for all the