nv-l

NetView node discovery problems

1999-01-13 22:31:45
Subject: NetView node discovery problems
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:31:45 -0500
Are you sure new node discovery is enabled (I know, but it alway pays
to check your assumptions..)

When you do the ovtopodump, the word you are looking for is GATEWAY,
not router.

Pardon me if this is too elementary for you but...

Are you sure the switches are not there? They won't be on the top map,
and until you add the oid_to_type entries, they will appear as generic
boxes
in the segment-level submap under the network submap representing the
IP subnet that their addresses belong to.

On rediscovering the router, make sure you have only one map (check under
File..Open Map). Deleting from all submaps only affects that map (eg
default).
You have to delete it from all other maps in the same fashion.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

We are running NetView V5 on AIX 4.2

I am having quite a time getting NetView to discover nodes
particularily switches on ATM circuits coming off the cisco router.

The first problem:
   Several cisco 5509/5000 switches in our network were not discovered.
   I tried ping'g the switches and doing demand polls on the router
   which still didn't discover them. I left them overnight to see if
   NetView would come around, but they still no discovery!

Second problem:
   I deleted the router from all submaps
   cleaned up the database ala J. Beakley(8/10/95)
   ovstop netmon
   ovmapcount -uv
   ovtopofix -a
   ovstop ovtopmd
   ovtopofix -Cv
   nv6000

   ovtopodump | grep router
       showed no occurances , as did "locate"

   The "router" is in the seed file!

   It doesn't show up on the IPmap after several hours of ping'g
   the router and doing demand polls on nearby routers.
   netmon.trace shows "many" snmp successful queries to the router
   but it remains undiscovered.

   I am at a loss as to what to try next...any hints?

--
/in haste
/Bob