nv-l

Re: [Fwd: Starting NetView EUI from Tivoli task]

1999-01-13 07:00:58
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Starting NetView EUI from Tivoli task]
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT SKILLS-1ST.CO DOT UK>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:00:58 +0000
My scenario is that many of my clients find the menus presented by
right-clicking on the NetView icon on the Tivoli Desktop, tedious.  They just
want a simple Tivoli Job that starts the NetView EUI, without nv6000.log
logging.  I have written a small script as follows:
#!/bin/ksh
. /home/jane/.profile
. /home/.kshrc            (this in turn sources the Tivoli environment)
cd /home/`whoami`
/usr/OV/bin/netview -nl
exit 0

The script is then encapsulted in a Tivoli task that runs as UID jane, GID
staff - this in turn is encapsulated as a Tivoli Job that runs on the NetView
endpoint.

I am still having difficulty deleting nodes.  I have also tested running the
EUI from the right button of the NetView icon - the deletion problem doesn't
seem to happen but it still doesn't pick up my saved workspace environment -
can't see what's different between this and running nv6000 -nl from the command
line.

Many thanks for any further discussion,
Jane
James Shanks wrote:

> I am not certain what you are doing here, so I have nothing to give you but
> other questions.
> When you say you are doing this as a Tivoli task, do you mean that you
> start the NetView GUI from the Framework context menu that looks like the
> old SMIT menu, (you get that by right clicking the  NetView managed node
> from the Tivoli desktop) under the Control option, or some other way?
>
> When you start the map in the fashion, what does it say in the lower
> left-hand corner?  Usually there is an indication of the map name, the user
> who has it open, and whether it is read/write or read/only.

>> Bottom left has default@poppet [Read-Write] which is fine
>> Bottom right has Workspace Name: jane.events1 and Rule Name: >>
check_ping_rs which is fine and shows it has read my .Xdefaults file.

--
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 1999 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.