nv-l

Grep

1999-01-08 16:41:12
Subject: Grep
From: Lucy Premus <lpremus AT METLIFE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:41:12 -0500
Theres probably a very simple answer to this question, but I cannot for the
life of me figure it out.  How do you grep for an EXACT match of a string?
I have a file that looks something like this:

10.1.     #Bridgewater
10.10.  #Scranton
10.12.  #White Plains
10.13.  #Warwick
10.14.  #Tampa
10.16.  #One Penn Plaza
10.17.  #Mt. Prospect
10.18.  #Denver

I'm trying to grep for the exact match of 10.1. in a script.  That string
will actually be in a variable defined previously in the script.
When the grep runs, it not only outputs the line    10.1.     #Bridgewater
(which is what I want), but it gives me every other line
containing 10.1?.  How do I prevent that from happening?  I've tried
putting single quotes, double quotes, etc around the variable
name, but have had no success.  Am I missing something simple