nv-l

Re: trapd Performance Parameters

1999-01-06 16:24:18
Subject: Re: trapd Performance Parameters
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:24:18 -0500
Setting these parameters should make little or no difference on whether you
core.

I would not mess with the -b parameter at all.  This is the size of the
buffer used to read traps off the socket and it is typically fine.  Only if
we had an indication that data was being lost would you bump this, and if
you do, it means that trapd would be using that much more storage per read.
Not a good idea to play with this unless you have a reason, since it could
lead to significant memory growth with no benefit.

The -B is the application queue limit and this is one you will want to play
with, but it will not keep trapd from coring either.  What it will do is
keep netmon and ovtopmd from being forced off if you are getting a lot of
traps at once.  The default size of 500 is fine for NetView itself but if
you get a large number of agent traps and you are not willing to cut back
on them (most routers send too many traps and too frequently) then you will
see netmon and ovtopmd being forced off of trapd.  The sky is the limit as
to how big you might make this value, but it does increase trapd storage.
The test group tested trapd at a rate of 100 traps/second and found they
had to increase the queue limit to 35000 to keep the other daemons up.
The only way this could have an impact on whether or not you core is if the
reason for the core were that trapd could not keep track of the storage
correctly when he went to free it, which is always possible.

So I would let the -b parm default, and raise the -B to say 5000 to 10000
and see what happens.   If you are getting a core, then you need to run
/usr/OV/service/readcore against it and call Support.  They'll want to look
at the core.report and the  trapd.log for starters.  And they may recommend
that you run the trapd trace (type trapd -T from the command line) while
you wait for it to happen again.  It will show whether events are being
queued or processed.

The trapd trace in 5.1.1 will start showing what the queue size is when an
event is queued so tuning will be easier in the future.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott AT WESTGROUP DOT COM> on 01/06/99 03:43:57 PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>