nv-l

Re: Discovery Of nodes - Using Netview for AIX Ver 5.1(Main) & Netview NT 5.1 (Regional)

1998-12-23 21:56:16
Subject: Re: Discovery Of nodes - Using Netview for AIX Ver 5.1(Main) & Netview NT 5.1 (Regional)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:56:16 -0500
The scenario you describe is what the manuals call 'attended MLM'. The
management
of the remote regions is actually done by a number of Mid-Level Managers
for NT which
report to the central Netview for AIX, and optionally report also to a
Netview for NT on the
same box as the Mid-Level Manager. The NT Netviews will not pass discovery
info
anyplace. It is the MLM that does it. Further, those MLMs on their own (as
I understand it)
won't discopver beyond their local subnet. You can assign their management
region to be
greater than that from the central Netview. See the Mid-Level Manager
User's Guide. The
manual is the same for 5.1 as for 5.0, but the new capability in 5.1 is for
a Netview for NT
to exist on the same box as the MLM for NT, so a remote operator can see
his region
on the local box. I have not done this, but this should get you to the
right manuals for a
start.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 12-23-98

Zahir Tohir <Zahir AT MESINIAGA.COM DOT MY> on 12-23-98 03:21:46 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>