nv-l

Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?

1998-12-21 12:30:17
Subject: Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?
From: "Leggett, Jeff" <JLeggett AT MOBILNET.GTE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:30:17 -0500
As a long time AIX admin this is an area that I personally have seen evolve
substantially over the last few years.  Way back when (1989 or so) we used
Telebit Trailblazers w/ UUCP configs to call our paging companies computer
and page us, but this was very unreliable and a pain to setup.  Then came
some of the freeware and commercial products.  I am drawing a blank on the
name of paging software we used for years but support for it finally
dropped.  I have used one commercial product: SPatch with good success, but
lately I have found the easiest thing to do is just enable sendmail enough
to be able to send emails and send them to PIN AT PAGINGCO DOT NET.  This has
worked for me since about 1995 or so when connections to the Net started
coming ubiquitious.  You do have a couple of points of failures for this so
it may not meet your needs, depending on circusmstances. (Example: you are
monitoring internet connections and need someone paged if they go down).

For most every config I have ever set up a 2400 baud modem seems to be the
minimum.  That shouldn't be hard to find!  :)

For Spatch contact: www.spatch.com or 770-495-0718

Hope this helped.