nv-l

Re: Log-File Monitor.

1998-12-18 16:49:23
Subject: Re: Log-File Monitor.
From: Cheryl Krupczak <cheryl AT EMPIRETECH DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:49:23 -0500

>> Does anyone know of a log-file monitor that will monitor a file, and
>> send an snmp trap when a string or expression is found in a file
>> (or number of files).  I'm interested in an NT-based utility.
>>
>> Also... is there anything like this available for the NT event-log?
>>

>Actually, Systems Monitor (which is still around as the MLM) and the
>System View Agent both had this functionality.  You would of course need
>the SIA with either the SLM or the MLM.

  :
  :

>Of course, the approach within TME is move up the Protocol Stack to a
>higher layer and do this with DM or with the NT Event Adapter.   The
>thinking being that SNMP traps are not that reliable, efficient, or
>secure.   (Although we could argue about the security for quite some
>time).

  Empire's SystemEDGE snmp agent does exactly what was asked for --
  monitor files for regular expressions -- and likewise can
  monitor NT events.  In addition to sending up a trap, SystemEDGE
  can execute a corrective action (send email or page, etc.).

  Log file monitoring is just one of the self-management features
  provided by SystemEDGE.  You can get a more info and a free
  eval from Empire's web page.

  - cheryl
+ Check us out!  http://www.empiretech.com                           +
+ Cheryl Krupczak                          Empire Technologies, Inc. +
+ cheryl AT empiretech DOT com                    541 Tenth Street NW       +
+ PH : +1 (770)384-0184                    Suite 169                 +
+ FAX: +1 (770)384-0183                    Atlanta, GA 30318         +