nv-l

Re: Log-File Monitor.

1998-12-17 23:11:04
Subject: Re: Log-File Monitor.
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan AT 2ND-WAVE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:11:04 -0500
Christine_Nutt AT TIVOLI DOT COM wrote:

> Note: Some recipients have been dropped due to syntax errors.
> Please refer to the "$AdditionalHeaders" item for the complete headers.
>
> Does anyone know of a log-file monitor that will monitor a file, and
> send an snmp trap when a string or expression is found in a file
> (or number of files).  I'm interested in an NT-based utility.
>
> Also... is there anything like this available for the NT event-log?

Actually, Systems Monitor (which is still around as the MLM) and the
System View Agent both had this functionality.  You would of course need
the SIA with either the SLM or the MLM.

Then there's BMC Patrol and there's also the Public domain SNMP stack
from UC Davis.   The former runs on NT, the later may have been ported
to NT.  (I know the utilities like snmpwalk, snmpnetstat, were ).   I
would also look at Microsoft's SMS agents and possibly the HP or CA
products.   They have SNMP agents and subagents, as well.

Of course, the approach within TME is move up the Protocol Stack to a
higher layer and do this with DM or with the NT Event Adapter.   The
thinking being that SNMP traps are not that reliable, efficient, or
secure.   (Although we could argue about the security for quite some
time).