nv-l

Re: Mid Level Managers

1998-12-15 00:25:32
Subject: Re: Mid Level Managers
From: Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:25:32 -0500
Art,

You may want to evaluate your collection rules as well.  Try using the
"e" option of nvUtil to evaluate the rules used for the collection.  I
use:
timex nvUtil e "<insert rule here>".  Attempt to find a rule that will
evaluate to the same collection that runs faster.  I found that the "~"
operator that allows regular expressions is very efficient.  I used a
rule that matched the "IP Hostname" field to a regular expression. That
way it just returns selection names for nodes.  Also, the fewer "||"'s
or "&&"'s you have the better. I was able to change an "In List" rule to
a regular expression for IP Hostname and move the evaluation time from
over 300 seconds to less than 30.  It made a big difference in both
startup time of nvcold and MLM distribution efficiency.

All these rules are evaluated before being distributed.  If they take a
long time to evaluate, it will slow things down considerably - probably
less so after the fix for APAR  IX79362 is applied.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer AT tkg DOT com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting