nv-l

Re: Return codes in "In-Line Action" Ruleset nodes

1998-12-14 23:50:23
Subject: Re: Return codes in "In-Line Action" Ruleset nodes
From: Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:50:23 -0500
"Giuliotti, J. P." wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> AIX 4.2 NV6000 4.1
> When NV reports a Node Down event (NDWN_EV), I run it through a ruleset that
> pings the node from an In-Line Action box with the following settings:
> Command: ping -c 5 $NVATTR_2
>                                 Wait interval: 20 seconds
>                                 Command Exit Code Comparison: Not Equal to:
> 0
>
> This tells me that if Netview doesn't see a node it will try to ping it 5
> times and will give it 20 seconds to respond. If it sees a return code other
> than zero (there is a problem), then it will forward it on to the next node
> in the ruleset.
>
> I am still getting false alarms. Am I misunderstanding the way an inline
> action works? Is 20 seconds enough time for 5 responses? (I think so). What
> if 2 out of the five pings are "time outs" due to network latency? Will that
> trigger the return code to return other than a zero value even though the
> other 3 pings were good?

It will return 0 if any of the pings are successful.  However, you
should get to the source of the problem of why you are loosing pings
(more than likely the cause of the False Alarms). Are you getting
network errors (enstat for ethernet, tokstat for token ring look for
input/ouput errors)? If so, you should look at the transmit/receive que
sizes of each of your network cards (lsattr -El entXX or tokXX where XX
is the number). To find the range acceptable do lsattr -Rl ent0 -a
rec_que_size. (or tok0).  This will show the range allowed.  Set them to
the max with chdev -l ent0 -a rec_que_size=<max size>.

You will have to unconfigure the Software IP interfaces on top of the
hardware adapters before you can change it. (rmdev -l en0 or tr0). If
this is not possible, use the -P option to the chdev command to change
it in ODM, then they will take effect after next boot.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer AT tkg DOT com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting