nv-l

Re: IP address being truncated

1998-12-11 10:50:21
Subject: Re: IP address being truncated
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:50:21 -0500
Vynita -

I am not certain I understand what you are saying or trying to do, but here
goes my advice.

>>  when I ovtopdump TEST and then do a snmptrap it gives that status of
the interfaces but not that they belong to the router TEST.

You are responsible for the contents of whatever you send via snmptrap.  If
you want to duplicate what NetView sends in its traps, then you have to
send all the same variables or at least in the same order.  How can you
tell what is in the NetView trap?  Well, you can look in the
Administrator's Guide and see what the variables are, or you can use
xnmtrap.  You can select "Describe" and the variable contents would be
listed.  If this is not specific enough for your needs, then you can
temporarily change the format of the Event Description to include $*  .
The "$*" specification says to list all the variables in the trap.  Then it
should be easy to set up your snmptrap script  to send the same thing.

Here's an example of an interface down trap.  The first hostname is the box
on which NetView is running.  The second is the sending agent.
#
/usr/OV/bin/snmptrap  \
  'nv6ktst5.raleigh.ibm.com'  .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1  \
  'james1,raleigh.ibm.com '  6 58916867  1 \

  .1.1.0  Integer 2  \
  .1.2.0  OctetStringascii  "james1"  \
  .1.3.0  OctetStringascii  "Interface 123.456.789.01 down" \
  .1.4.0  OctetStringascii  "123.456.789.01"  \
  .1.5.0  OctetStringascii  "openview"  \

 Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Pretorius, Vynita" <VPretorius AT FNB.CO DOT ZA> on 12/11/98 05:27:29 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>