nv-l

Netmon/Netview Pounding of Routers

1998-12-03 13:28:09
Subject: Netmon/Netview Pounding of Routers
From: Connie Logg <cal AT SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:28:09 -0800
I have noticed for some time that one of our routers will have sustained cpu
utilization of greater than 90% for many hours (sometimes a day or more at a
spell).  I have suspected netmon/netview, and recently unmanaged the
routers.  It seemed to resolve the problem.

The November 23 issue of Network World discusses the problem (HP Openview),
and indicates that there is a way around the problem without unmanaging the
routers. There were no details although for netview.

Can someone please tell me how to resolve this problem without leaving the
routers unmanaged?

" Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "

Connie Logg    CAL AT SLAC.Stanford DOT Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
Network Management and Performance Analyst
SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."