nv-l

NMS data collection on true bandwidth for compressed data on seri al WAN links

1998-12-02 17:46:03
Subject: NMS data collection on true bandwidth for compressed data on seri al WAN links
From: Koo Lawrence <lkoo AT WOOLWORTHS.COM DOT AU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:46:03 +1100
Hi there,

We are monitoring how our WAN links' bandwidth are utilised by performing
data collection from our NMS the MIB variables ifInOctets and ifOutOctets.
Since we are using compression services, be it hardware compression with CSA
or software compression, the data collected by NMS from the MIB information
repository on Cisco is the decompressed value. This means that the data is
not a true representation of the bandwidth chewed up on the links but rather
a larger value after decompression.

The questions are: is there any easy way we can get the true bandwidth
utilisation information on the compressed data? If not, what's the channel
to make a request to Cisco to provide such information in the MIB
repository, and report on the compression ratio for every serial link and
store it in the MIB repository?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Lawrence