nv-l

Re: Adding Nodes

1998-12-02 01:18:57
Subject: Re: Adding Nodes
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan AT 2ND-WAVE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 01:18:57 -0500
Vince Rosso wrote:

> Vince Rosso@TRANSALTA
> 01/12/98 08:56 AM
>
> We are using  Netview v4.1on a Digital UNIX platform.   I am seeing a
> couple of problems when adding file server nodes that contain either
> multiple interface cards or a single interface card with multiple
> addresses.   The file servers in this case are all running Windows NT v4.0.
>
> 1.  On the servers running multiple interfaces tied to unique networks,
> when the object is added as a server the symbol changes to that of a
> router/gateway and Netview tries to add it to the various maps as a
> gateway.   I can hide the offending interfaces which are on private
> networks in this case and not linked to the network we are monitoring.
> However I cannot change the symbol type.    I'm sure there must be a better
> approach to this.

The symbol will be discovered as a "gateway" or "router" is it has
multiple interfaces and has "ip forwarding" enabled.  This is a standard
setting for any multi-homed systems.  There is a specific attribute in
the Netview object database to denote this.   (Use ovobjprint).

> 2.  On the servers running multiple addresses off a single interface I am
> seeing much the same problem as above.   The difference here is that the
> interface in question is to be monitored, but the multiple addresses are
> confusing to Netview.   I believe Microsoft refers to this configuration as
> multiple homing.    These nodes are setup in DNS and in the Host tables

This is not a Microsoft term.   The term "multi-homed" has been around
since the inception of TCP/IP.

> with only a single IP address.   Netview doesn't know how to interpret this
> so it labels the node as a router/gateway with multiple interfaces.    With
> this type of configuration is there some way to only work with one ip
> address and ignore the others.
>
> Thanks in advance for input and suggestions.

Regardless of whether the NIC or interfaces are resolvable, netmon will
poll the configuration by an SNMP query of the MIB-2 interface table
(and record this in the appropriate filed of the object and topology
databases).    If SNMP is not enabled then netmon will not be able to
make association between the interfaces and will discover one generic
object for each NIC (address).

You can always unmanage the interfaces you aren't interested in.   Once
again, if ip forwarding is on, then the device is a router (whether you
intended that or not).   The ip forwarding state is part of MIB-2.  So,
if Netview depicts it as a router/gateway (a connector in NV lingo) then
it IS one.   You just may not realize that it incorrectly configured.

BTW, once a device with multiple interfaces and ip forwarding is placed
on a network, it could very easily end up routing a significant amount
of traffic as the result of ICMP redirects.  Even if the routing was
initially set up correctly. This would clearly not be very desirable.