nv-l

Re: login problem with CDE

1998-11-27 09:06:27
Subject: Re: login problem with CDE
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:06:27 -0500
>From what I have read on this problem, you cannot run the
/etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh from
the .profile via the .dtprofile because the .dtprofile cannot handle a lot
of things that the
.profile can handle. The one time I dug around in the error logs it
appeared that the
problem was caused by un-initialized variables, like $LIBPATH. The
recommendation
has been to have the .profile include 'START=$HOME/.kshrc' and put the
sourcing of
setup_env.sh in the .kshrc. However, the last time I tried this I could not
get it to work and
turned it over to the customer's AIX staff at the end of my job.

So if anyone has an arrangement that actually works (AIX 4.2 AND AIX 4.3),
it would be
a great kindness to the rest of us if you could post the details here.
Like, what is in
/etc/environment,  /etc/profile, $HOME/.dtprofile, $HOME/.profile. and
$HOME/.kshrc, and
are there any other profiles or defaults associated with CDE.  And then,
what (if any)
file do you reference on the screen you get when you launch the map from
the Tivoli
desktop?

Apparently there are some configurations that work and some that don't.
Those of us who
are just faking it when it comes to AIX expertise would love to know the
secret! Thanks.
wh

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark