nv-l

ping ISDN interface

1998-11-27 02:03:35
Subject: ping ISDN interface
From: Dimitri Setti <Dimitri.Setti AT FCCRT DOT IT>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:03:35 +0100
From: Dimitri Setti@ITFCCRT0 on 27/11/98 08.03

To:   Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia
      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
cc:

Hi at all.....
I use Netview 5.0 on Aix 4.2.1.

I have some routers CIsco with interface BRI0 having IP address, that I use
only for backup (when
serial line go down).
With Netview I see router's interfaces and their status.
I have this doubt: if I set managed ISDN interface , nv6 pings it and so
activates this line,
but I don't want this !!
In order to not ping ISDN interface, I set BRI interface as unmanaged:
doing so, I'm not able to locate when this interface go up (Call Active)
(with traps)
Is there any options in Netview that permits to not ping some interface
card?

In "Netview for windows NT user's guide, (ver 5.0)", on page 8-20 I read
that "netmon daemon
explicitly ping every IP address by default............To turn off
explicitly pinging every IP address, select
OPTIONS..SERVER SETUP..DAEMONS..NETMON DAEMON, then click on Discover using
Spray Ping" .
I think this option can help me to not ping BRI0 interface, but I use
Netview6000 on AIX,
so I don't know where to find this same option. Is it maybe
"Topology/status polling IP" ? If so, which options
I must choose? No poll for Status? No poll for Discover New Nodes ? I don't
know..........

Maybe there is some others better solutions for my question,
I hope someone can help me

thanks

dimitri

Dimitri Setti
   Fondo Comune Casse Rurali Trentine
   via Segantini n.18
   38100  TRENTO
   ITALY

   Tel:               +39   461   874.111 centralino
                 +39   461   874.266 diretto
   Fax:               +39   461   874.123

   e-mail:   Dimitri.Setti AT fccrt DOT it