nv-l

Applying ruleset for specific devices

1998-11-13 11:29:44
Subject: Applying ruleset for specific devices
From: erik nilsson <erik AT NETMAN DOT SE>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:29:44 +0100
Hi !

I'm working with a ruleset to correlate link up/down events, adding link
description and passing the text to a notification application.

Now I want to specify the devices (routers) from which I accept
the link down trap. These specific devices keeps the link
description info that I will retrieve via an snmpget request.

The description is not the one found in ifTable mib
(ex Serial1/1.3 for Frame-Relay). I could get that info from the NV database
via API or ovobjprint command. I need the one found in ifMIB
(...ifXEntry.18.ifindex). That's where you find the interface description
if you have that configured on a Cisco router interface.

The question is how I best can build a table / selection on which routers
I will accept the link_down trap from. (Not just for presentation in a event
window).
One way could be to write a script that traverse a textfile with the
selected nodes but maybe there is some other ways.

Any ideas are welcome !

/Erik Nilsson
Network Management AB
Stockholm

Notes:
There is always at least one active path to the actual routers,
otherwise there's no good idea to do a snmp request (the link
is down !).
Another way to solve the problem is to retrieve the link descriptions
and keep the information in a local database / file. We are also looking
on that solution.
The link description is also valueble in other applications (like reports,
etc)
because a text like 'Link from Y to office-X, line number zz, is down' is
more informative than 'Router yy Interface Serial1/1.2 down' .