nv-l

loopback interfaces on routers and netview

1998-11-11 15:11:16
Subject: loopback interfaces on routers and netview
From: Dan Cox <dcox AT LEXMARK DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:11:16 -0500
Here is the scenario.

I have several cisco routers in a framerelay network.  Each router is brought
back to the main office with both att and sprint's framerealy network.  So
bascically there are two paths back to the main office.  We are using cisco
eigrp.  When I configure looback interfaces on the router would it be something
like this.

router in main office
loopback 0
   ip address 172.16.33.1 255.255.255.252

router at remote site 1
  ip address 172.16.33.5 255.255.255.252

router at rmote site 2
 ip address 172.16.33.9 255.255.255.252
 etc. ............

I would then put these in dns as
main.router.lexmark.com  in  a  172.16.33.1
site1.router.lexmark.com  in  a  172.16.33.5
site2.router.lexmark.com  in  a  172.16.33.9
etc...

Now I should be able to ping, or traceroute any of the loopback interfaces from
anywhere in the network.

Is this the correct way to subnet the loopback interfaces, by making each
loopback interface its on subnet.
Any suggestions on how to manage devices with mutiple paths would be greatly
appreciated.
Also I would like to know if there is any special configuration in netview 5.1
on aix that I have to configure to make it find the loopback interfaces on cisco
routers.