nv-l

Re: NV-L Digest - 8 Nov 1998 to 9 Nov 1998

1998-11-10 01:47:02
Subject: Re: NV-L Digest - 8 Nov 1998 to 9 Nov 1998
From: NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:47:02 +0100
Hi Jon,

One scenario I know that one of our very large customers is using
is to have dual servers discover the entire network.  After the discovery
have each manage only one half of the network and each other.  A couple
of times a day, sync up the DB's.  If either server fails ( daemons fail to
satisfy a health check )   then the other server picks up management of
the former's half of the network.  All clients are switched over to the
working server by customized scripts.  This is a high level overview of
the process, but I think you will get the idea.  The idea is to cut down
on cpu utilization by distributing workload across a couple of CPU's,
as well as create a robust failover system.  You always have a working
backup server by the nature of both servers being both primary and
backup.  This scenario doesn't depend on a static backup server that
may or may not work during a failover switch.  You know that both
servers are working from the first discovery on.

I have a PowerPoint presentation on this that I gave at Planet Tivoli Paris.
If you would like to see it, then send me an email to the address at the
bottom of this email.

Will

> Subject: Deleting events on a backup server
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:49:35 +0000
> From: Jon Needes <jon.needes AT ATS.UK.EDS DOT COM>
>
> We intend to have two identical NetView servers so that one can act as a
> backup for the other.  From postings on the list I have seen that others
> are doing the same thing.  We have been able to copy our NetView
> configuration from one NetView server to the other successfully.  There
> appears to be no problem about events being reported on both servers.
>
> The problem we anticipate will occur when a user deletes events at one
> of the NetView servers.  We want the events to be deleted from the other
> server automatically.  We have not yet figured out how we can do this,
> or if it can be done.  If anyone has any advice we will be pleased to
> receive it.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jon Needes
> EDS, Hook, UK

Will Mason
NetView Product Evangelist
wmason AT tivoli DOT com
http://www.tivoli.com

"While the inferior man seeks to put the blame on
other persons, bewailing his fate, the superior
man seeks the error within himself."

I-Ching