nv-l

Ruleset question

1998-11-02 20:19:57
Subject: Ruleset question
From: "jcbrown.net" <jcbrown AT JCBROWN DOT NET>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:19:57 -0800
There are umpteen million traps a Bay router will send the NMS. We can
control what severity of event it sends on the router side... That limits
the traps we want to see to about 1500 that shouldn't occur that often.

I have a ruleset that blocks traps by default and then only allows specified
traps through.
This cuts down on the number of useless traps going to our event window.

Is there a way that I can punch a hole in my ruleset by enterprise and
ignore the specific ID. I know that I could turn around a query the device
when a trap comes in and say if it is a router pass the event, but that is
way too much overhead everytime a trap comes in.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy Brown