nv-l

Re: Admin Down Interface

1998-10-20 03:12:46
Subject: Re: Admin Down Interface
From: Michael Seibold PTS/M-SW <mseibold AT STR.DAIMLER-BENZ DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:12:46 +0200
Our experience with this is as follows (NV5.0 / AIX):

o Netview will recognize the interface beeing up again without removing
it manually

o Netview will not even recognize that it is shutdown when another
devices has now the IP-address of the shutdown interface and is
responding to the status pings. Even a configuration poll won't change
Netview-DB's, though it recognizes that the old IP-address is no longer
defined on this shutdown interface. The "old" interface has to be
deleted from all maps manually.

o Check the events for duplicate IP-address-events coming from netmon to
discover such situations.

-> Best method so far is to delete interfaces manually if the ip-address
is no longer defined on the router.

Michael Seibold
debis Systemhaus GmbH