nv-l

Re: Cisco Thresholding

1998-10-01 07:44:56
Subject: Re: Cisco Thresholding
From: "Paul L. Della Maggiora" <pdellama AT CISCO DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 07:44:56 -0400
At 05:00 AM 10/1/98 , Simon Long wrote:
>I am urgently trying to find some MIB fields to enable me to
>threshold on the following:-
>
>    -% CPU Utilisation over 15 min
>From http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/v1/OLD-CISCO-CPU-MIB.my check out
>avgBusy5 or busyPer.    as you mention the 15 minute spread, I assume you want
>to poll the variable every 15 minutes and evaluate the deltas.

>    -% Collision Rate over 30 min
Check out http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/v1/RMON-MIB.my and the variable
etherStatsCollisions

>    -% Bandwidth utilisation over 30 min
No one variable.  You'll need to look at the rfc1213 ifInOctets, ifOutOctets,
and ifSpeed variables to calculate the utilization.  Also, keep in mind that
calculating utilization for WAN (full duplex) links is different than
calculating LAN (half duplex) utilization.  For more info, there are books and
papers published that cover techniques on measuring link utilization.

You also mentioned thresholding in your subject:, be sure to check out RMON's
alarms and events capabilities to have the devices monitor themselves...

Hope this helps.
Paul L. Della Maggiora, CCIE 1522
EMBU Product Manager
cisco Systems, Inc.