nv-l

Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6

1998-09-30 13:29:48
Subject: Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT USAA DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:29:48 -0500
James stated it clearly enough, but allow me to re-emphasize it from a
customer's perspective.  You WILL be forced to upgrade to 5.1 if you
encounter defects in 5.0.  We discovered a dozen or so defects earlier this
year, most of which were related to MLM on the Solaris platform.  We
received e-fixes for some of the defects, but the majority of them were not
fixed in 5.0, and IBM/Tivoli would not provide any fixes in 5.0 even after
we asked for them.  We finally gave up asking, got the beta code for 5.1,
and verified that the defects were fixed.

The problem with IBM/Tivoli's approach is now we have lost 6-12 months
waiting for the new code to get these defects fixed!!  Call me skeptical,
but I am confident that new defects will be found in 5.1, simply because the
problems we discovered were "showstoppers" and we never completed the
testing and implementation with MLM on Solaris.