nv-l

Re: trapd problem

1998-09-29 21:33:31
Subject: Re: trapd problem
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:33:31 -0400
How about a little more explanation of what you are trying to do here?

When you send a trap to 162/udp it is a one-way operation.  The trap
receiver just has to listen to the port.  But tcp communication requires
that the parties involved negotiate a session -- tcp is connection-oriented
while udp is conectionless.  So trapd does allow tcp communication --
netmon sends that way, so does MLM, even another NetView's trapd, but they
are designed to do that.

Who is sending the trap to 162/tcp?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Bob Engley <bob.engley AT UALBERTA DOT CA> on 09/29/98 04:24:13 PM

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>