nv-l

Re: The question of ...Evaluating Platforms/Frameworks Again

1998-09-28 11:40:00
Subject: Re: The question of ...Evaluating Platforms/Frameworks Again
From: Fernie Fuentes <fernie AT HPUEPTF.NSR.HP DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:40:00 MDT
--- Begin Message ---
Yes, if one is comparing NNM to Tivoli then this is apples to oranges.  However
a little education is in order.

OpenView is not your fathers NNM anymore..  OpenView is a suite of tools which
allow the ITSM manager to pick and choose solutions which in some cases can
stand alone or when combined are integrated and share more than disk space.
YesI said IT Service Management.  This represents a major shift from deployment
of
a bunch of tools; HP, IBM, SUN, or whoever to a strategy based on Service Level
Management.

> I don't want to seem rude, but this is comparing apples to oranges, isn't
> it?
>
>  HP OpenView is an SNMP manager and NetView is an SNMP manager with the
> same basic architecture, but there the similarity ends.  Leaving aside the
> fact that the NT version of NetView won the 1998 Software Product of the
> Year award,  Tivoli has a much more global reach than that.  There is
> Inventory, which can keep a database of all your machines and what software
> at what levels you can install on them, there is Software Distribution,
> which will allow you to automatically distribute software to those end
> points, there is TEC, which will integrate logs and events from a variety
> of different hosts, and there are many application modules to monitor
> various applications.  Whatever you want to manage, Tivoli has a solution.
> HP does not.

        HP does not. ????  Wow lets see.

Software Inventory:     HP IT Administration and/or HP AssetView
Software Distribution:  HP Software Distributor which BTW is the basis for the
                        Posix standard and which most of the large computing
                        companies have licensed(including IBM, SUN, etc...)
Help Desk:              HP IT Service Manager(help desk is just one aspect of
                        this product's capabilities)
Centralized Backup:     HP OmniBack

The list does not stop there and I would suggest that you check out
our WEB site:

        www.hp.com/go/openview

> I am surprised that GE Capital is even asking the question, since there was
> a press announcement on August 24 that they are now a Tivoli re-seller of
> the  Tivoli Output Manager, which manages output files and printing from
> the mainframe to the desktop.   Didn't our marketing folks brief you guys
> on the rest of the product line?
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
>

> Peter Stubbs <Peter.Stubbs AT GECITS-AP DOT COM> on 09/22/98 03:07:57 AM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
> cc:    (bcc: James Shanks)
> Subject:  The question of ...Evaluating Platforms/Frameworks Again
>

> Once again I have been charged with the task of evaluating EMS type
> platforms/frameworks. At present I am looking at both Tivoli vs HP
> OpenView..... with a mind to installing layered applications to monitor the
> network, PC desktops, NT & UNIX servers, application databases, interfaces
> to Remedy/Clarify helpdesks and of course the network.
>
> I am after user feedback as to the latest level of ease of installation,
> configuration and operation for each of theselayered app's on each
> platform.  Looking at the product sheets, both both vendors promise all
> .... however, as we live in the real world, I am interested in how easy
> people have found to deliver these promises.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> GE Capital IT Solutions
> This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
> not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received
> this mail in error, please tell us immediately by return email and delete
> the document.

Respectfully,

Fernie Fuentes              Senior Technical Systems Consultant
(915) (T)485-9427           Hewlett-Packard
FAX (915) 485-9420          4050 Rio Bravo, Suite 115
fernie AT hpueptf.nsr.hp DOT com   EL Paso, Texas 79912
for CC:Mail use fernie_fuentes AT hp DOT com
                ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness,
and many of our people need it sorely.  Broad, wholesome,
charitable views can not be acquired by vegetating in one's
little corner of earth."
                          Mark Twain  Innocents Abroad, 1869

--- End Message ---