nv-l

How to be pro-active?

1998-09-24 13:47:16
Subject: How to be pro-active?
From: Haakan Andersson <Hakan.K.Andersson AT ICA DOT SE>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 19:47:16 +0200
Hi,

I'm new to NetView AIX and snmp as well as networking. I've recently taken
over
the responsibility for NetView AIX (running v 4.1.2 with NWays Manager,
will upgrade
soon to 5.0).
We are currently migrating to Cisco routers in our WAN.
At this point, the operators/helpdesk can almost only see if a node is up
or down.
Very little configuration and adapt-ing (is that the right word?) have been
done yet.
The issues I will start to deal with now is;
- how can we in NetView discover network problems before they become
alarming,
how can we be pro-active?
- for instance, when setting thresholds of the traffic through routers,
what threshold
values is propriate?
- what "parameters" are important to monitor in a router?
- what MIB variables are of interest concerning the topics mentioned above?
- how to discover divergent tendencies in the network

I guess these topics are more snmp-, "technical networking"- and router
admin/managing
issues.  However does anyone know of any good books that discuss these kind
of
topics? Maybe someone has some tips and hints regarding this?

Best Regards,
Hakan Andersson
ICA Handlarnas AB, Sweden