nv-l

Re: Incorrectly parented process

1998-09-14 10:35:32
Subject: Re: Incorrectly parented process
From: Bernard Disselborg <bdisselb AT TRIPLE-P DOT NL>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:35:32 +0200
Marc,

You should edit the /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf file as follows:

 1.  As always make a backup of /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf before you edit it.
 2.  Edit the 2 3Com entries in the ovsuf file, removing the > (redirects)
     to console from the deamon startup.

Success,

Bernard

At 09:19 14-09-98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a customer who loaded Transcend 4.1 on NetView 5.0 (Aix 4.1.  The
>load failed the first time saying that Transcend 4.1 was not compatible with
>NetView 5.  After making Transcend think it was on NetView 4.1 it installed
>correctly.
>
>Now we have a problem when we run the 'netview' command from the command
>line.
>We get a message that says:
>
>WARNING:  One or more process are incorrectly patented.
>           UID  PID PPID   C   STIME      TTY  TIME   CMD
>           Root   17646       1    0    08:28:08   lft0    00:00
>/usr/sbin/getty  /dev/console
>
>Stopping daemons...
>Kill -9 21274 getty
>
>(and it goes on to kill several gettys before stopping)
>
>The final message tells me to run 'nvstat -cleanup', but this gives us the
>same messages as above.
>

>The end result is no gui and the background processes are NOT RUNNING.
>
>I can use the 'ovw' command to bring up the gui just fine, but would like to
>resolve this issue.
>
>Marc Russo (mrusso AT al.iisl DOT com)

Bernard Disselborg                      Triple P Nederland B.V.
Consultant                              PO Box 245
e-mail: bdisselb AT triple-p DOT nl            4130 EE  Vianen
tel:    +31 (0)347 353317               The Netherlands
mobile: +31 (0)655 833355