nv-l

Re: Distribution of NetView 5.1

1998-09-04 14:01:37
Subject: Re: Distribution of NetView 5.1
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 14:01:37 -0400
What you have described IS the upgrade path.  You backup what you have,
delete the old product, whether Version 4.0 or V5.0, and install the new
product, which takes note of your backup and installs it along with the new
code.  If your backup is present on the machine when you install, it will
migrate automatically.  You are migrating from one level of code to
another.  This is not anything like applying an AIX PTF.  It is rather the
same as going from NetView V3 to V4, or AIX 4.1 to AIX 4.2.

There are many new functions but I don't have an exhaustive list at this
time.  For example, the NT product gets nvcorrd so it can run rulesets
(though new ones have to be created on UNIX because there is no editor
provided on NT yet), and the UNIX product gets some NT function, like
nvsniffer, which tests ports on your devices to discover what boxes have
web servers and that sort of thing, and builds collections of these things
automatically.  It can be extended to build other automatic collections as
well.  There is also the opportunity for much more integration with TEC and
Tivoli Inventory.   As time permits, I will try to put a list together, but
it may not be soon.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Marc Russo <mrusso AT AL.IISL DOT COM> on 09/04/98 11:19:27 AM

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>