nv-l

Re: Interface Addr Change & Config Checks.

1998-09-03 09:33:37
Subject: Re: Interface Addr Change & Config Checks.
From: Michael Seibold PTS/M-SW <mseibold AT STR.DAIMLER-BENZ DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:33:37 +0200
Hi Gary, hi Joe,

we also have this problem on our V5.1 and we are thinking of opening a
change request on this.

The problem is even more difficult if you have to move ip-ranges from
one box to another one.

If you make a demand-poll on a box (say box1) where you took away
ip-adresses, Netview first checks if these interfaces are still
responding. When you already moved the ip-adresses to another box (box2)
they are indeed responding (from this box2...) and Netview regards them
as still alive, but on box1!. Later during the demand-poll it recognises
that the corresponding interface(s) on box1 no longer has an ip-adress,
but it's not updating his databases, so also the icon for the ip-network
is connected to the wrong box (box1).
You have to look carefully at "duplicate ip-adress"-events coming from
netview to discover this situation. This trap will be sent by netmon
when it discovers the ip-adress on box2, which, according to the nv
database, is still valid on box1.

Maybe someone from the software developement team at tivoli reads this

Michael Seibold
debis Systemhaus CCS