nv-l

Re: Cisco Frame Relay subinterface representation

1998-09-02 23:17:10
Subject: Re: Cisco Frame Relay subinterface representation
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 23:17:10 -0400
This is probably two separate issues, both of which I have contributed to my
graying hair over the years. Maybe I can clarify it a little.

1) Netview has never actively managed the status of unnumbered interfaces.
It is a feature, being the only thing I can think of that it will discover and
draw,
and then never manage again except during a demand-poll or configuration
poll. Usually these are unnumbered serial interfaces connecting remote
routers. Found via SNMP, but unpingable, so status never changes unless you
do it yourself with snmp polling. I was surprised to see an apar has finally
been
taken, since it has been this way since unnumbered support appeared in V3.

2)When Cisco implemented Frame Relay, customers started using the subinterface
feature. But Cisco did not populate the standard MIB II Interface table with
instances
for these subinterfaces until IOS 11.2. Until they did, Netview was usually not
able to draw connections between these subinterfaces.  At 11.2 or better, it
draws
the connections beautifully, numbered or not.

You can have both of these problems at the same time. If you stick with
unnumbered,
you will still have the status problem even at 11.2 until a solution is
delivered
for apar IX81136.

One customer I know of circumvents the status problem by setting the map
to 'Propagate most Critical'. So the down numbered interface makes the parent
router red, even if those unnumbered interfaces stay green.

I hope this helps.

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

Joe,

That's an interesting question - the Tivoli tech support person who opened the
APAR for my ticket did not even get into the Cisco IOS level.  And as a matter
of fact, the router that we had the problem on was pre 11.2 (11.1(2)), so that
may be the problem.  Thanks for the info,

Scott