nv-l

Netview on SUN Platform

1998-09-02 15:24:02
Subject: Netview on SUN Platform
From: Bonnie Jundt <bonnie_jundt AT MAIL.UND.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:24:02 -0500
A decision has been made at our location to switch from IBM/AIX to SUN/Solaris
for our network management system.  We currently have AIX 4.2, Netview V4R1,
CiscoWorks 4.0, CWSI 1.3 and Optivity 8.1.  We also plan to run Cisco Resource
Manager and Netsys.  We may also want to run MRTG graphs for about 50 devices
with multiple interfaces.  We currently manage approximately 15,000 objects with
expectations to grow moderately and to stay up to date with current software
releases, such as moving to Netview 5.1.

My research on the appropriate or best server has been inconclusive.  We would
like a server attached graphics console which does not appear to be an option on
the Ultra Enterprise 450.  It would be to my benefit to order a server to meet
short range future growth rather than go back to my manager a year from now to
request an upgrade, therefore I'm not looking for a minimal configuration, but
rather a robust solution.

SUN hardware recommendations and options, such as amount of memory, would be
greatly appreciated, particularly from anyone in an environment similar to the
one we anticipate in the near future.