Re: Netview 5.0 and AIX 4.3
I will give it a try.
1) Ensure all of the necessary AIX files are installed for AIX 4.3.
These files are listed in the NetView release notes and Installation
Most of these file were pre-installed on my new RS/6000 AIX
4.3.1 system. The one I had difficulty with was
As one other contributer noted, this file is on the AIX 4.3.1 CD
but is not shown unless to Install under SMIT using the List_All option.
2) Once all of the files are available add the language locale En_US
through smit (both Cultural and language conventions)
3) Set your LANG variable to En_US
4) Install the Tivoli framework ( I used v3.2) This will require you to
get the Framework patch 3.2-TMF-0004 from the Tivoli support web site.
- Follow the directions in the Release notes and manual to
create the the CDROM and installation directories
- Mount the CDROM
- Run the wpreinst.sh command to copy some files to the
installation directory. The end of this command displays a wserver -c
<install dir> command
you need to run next. ( the wserver command will fail with the
message " unable to guess system type. Try setting $INTERP.")
- At this point "Part 1" of the 3.2-TMF-0004 patch will need to
be completed. The patch (and it's scripts) use a different install
directory than the Framework manual indicates (install_bundle
vs. install_dir) causing problems in running th scripts.
I found it easier to untar the patch file and manually copy
the 3 files for part 1 of the patch. (this is described in the readme
- Run the ./wserver -c <install_dir> command as shown at the end
of the wpreinst.sh command again
- The Tivoli desktop is supposed to appear at this point. I had
to run the . /etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh command and they type tivoli at
line to bring it up.
- Complete the 3.2-TMF-0004 patch installation as described in
"Part 2" of the patch readme file. (this worked just fine)
5) You can now resume the NetView installation by installing the
"NetView Framework Patch" as described in the NetView Installation
6) In my case this was a new NetView installation so I followed the
manual and went to page 2-17 for installing the NetView Server, however
must also perform the steps on page 2-16 to "Make the Server a
7) Now you can install NetView as described on pages 2-17 to 2-23 in the
NetView Installation and Configuration manual.
Maryville Data Systems
One Pierce Place Suite 475W
Itasca, IL 60143
(630) 285-9597 ext. 5105
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dan Cox [SMTP:dcox AT LEXMARK DOT COM]
> Sent: Monday, August 31, 1998 12:07 PM
> To: NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu
> Subject: Netview 5.0 and AIX 4.3
> So could someone sum up what is needed to run netview 5.0 on aix 4.3
> or 4.3.1