nv-l

Re: PTF's

1998-08-25 08:46:01
Subject: Re: PTF's
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:46:01 -0400
I stand corrected about the Framework patch (now I know who not to ask
about this stuff!).

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

---------------------- Forwarded by James Shanks/Tivoli Systems on 08/25/98
08:47 AM ---------------------------

George deSocio
08/24/98 06:22 PM

To:   James Shanks@Tivoli Systems
cc:
From: George deSocio/Tivoli Systems @ Tivoli Systems

James, Since I don't subscribe to this list, would you mind addressing the
terminology mixup for me?  Thanks.  Go ahead, quote me !

TME 10 Framework for Unix (regardless of version) requires a special
product-related "patch" in order to install and administer NetView on a
Managed Node (the TMR server is a managed node too).  The patch is only
installed on the TMR server that NetView will be installed from, and
administered from.  That is, it is not installed on remote managed nodes,
but rather, only the TMR server).  This patch is provided on the TME 10
NetView for Unix Version 5.0 and Version 5.1 cdrom, since it is unique code
only required by the NetView product.

The classic IBM "PTF" is gone as of NetView Version 5.   Just like the TME
10 Framework internal "product installation" mechanisms are now used for
NetView Version 5.0 and later, the TME10 Framework internal "patch"
mechanisms will be used in the future to fix defects and add function.   A
"patch" in this sense is similar to the "PTF".  One difference is that now
the Tivoli Framework database is the repository for status, rather than the
IBM AIX odmrepos(itory).  In other words, the AIX installp command is no
longer used.  In fact, no platform-specific/unique software installation
mechanisms are used.  The Framework is uniformly deployed across all
supported platforms and uses a common interface.

Regards,
Geo.

George de Socio
Support Engineer   Tivoli TME10 Distributed NetView Support
Dept FMZ    Building 503   Office J303;
4205 South Miami Blvd.,   Research Triangle Park,  NC   27709
Phone (919) 254-5190  (T/L) 444    Fax (919) 543-0723   (T/L) 441

---------------------- Forwarded by George deSocio/Tivoli Systems on

---------------------- Forwarded by Ramona Fiorillo/Tivoli Systems on

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>