nv-l

Nways - RMON and MAT problems

1998-08-20 15:20:03
Subject: Nways - RMON and MAT problems
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT SKILLS-1ST.CO DOT UK>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:20:03 +0100
We have NetView for AIX V5 and Nways 1.2.1 (the whole suite).  We are
seeing one or two problems - can anyone help?

1) Sometimes 8270 hubs, when exploded, get the following message:
"VS9408W: Create of subsystem in the APPLICATION TRANSPORTER system
failed.  The product may not be running for subsystem name" - if we
re-cycle all the NetView daemons the problem clears and we then get our
8270 display filled in

2) Again on 8270, a right mouse button on an 8270 port produces the
message:
"The RMON application is not accessible.  This may be due to an
incorrect environment an install failure or moving or renaming the
application" - we have environment variables setup for RMONHOME, the
install was clean as is the RMON install log and we haven't renamed
anything - any clues?  We have done nothing to customise RMON on the
8270s (microcode 4.0.3 B) - do we need to?  Does the 8270 support the
Host table of the RMON MIB?

3) Not sure whether this is NetView / Nways related..... our NetView
system is configured as a secondary DNS server and uses itself as it's
prefered nameserver (in resolv.conf).  When the system reboots (AIX
4.2.1) we get a green-screen login on the console, rather than the dtwm
xserver login.  If we reboot the system having hidden resolv.conf and
come up on /etc/hosts this problem doesn't occur.  We are wondering if
the boot process is starting NetView and Nways daemons in parallel with
starting named such that named is not active soon enough - any
comments?  At present we have a kludge process such that we reboot on
/etc/hosts and don't start any NetView / Nways processes - we then have
a script to  enable resolv.conf and start Tivoli, NetView and Nways.

Many thanks for any input,
Jane
--
Jane Curry