nv-l

Re: Year2000 -- Least Path Of Resistance?

1998-08-20 14:51:51
Subject: Re: Year2000 -- Least Path Of Resistance?
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:51:51 -0400
Gary, Doug, and everyone:

Hopefully this is the last time I'll have to explain this.

Whether you have NetView V4 or V5, your NetView is Y2K ready now.  That
doesn't mean it's perfect, but that all major functions, daemons, netmon
polling and discovery, maps, events, rulesets, and what-have-you, work just
fine when the millennium changes.    But detailed and systematic testing by
Tivoli verification found what amounts to three (3) minor problems.  These
are fixed in NetView  V5.1 and U453385.   I will explain them below.

Doug -
 There are no Y2K fixes I am aware of in U451880.  I could be wrong, but I
just checked the README again.
But it doesn't really matter, since U453385 will include what is in
U451880, anyway.   When will V4 go out of support?  There has been an
announcement that it will be the end of this year, but I do not know how
firm that is.  Check with your Tivoli marketing rep for an official answer.
I don't have it and this is not the place to get it.

Gary -

The three minor user interface problems are these:

(1) Some logs in /usr/OV/log have misleading dates in their timestamps.
One said "1900" for "2000", others said "100" (UNIX programmers will
recognize "100" as the output of the mktime command  -- see the man pages).
These did not affect anything, except that they look funny.  They have all
been fixed.

(2) Using the filter editor you could not set a viewing filter based on the
date and time in the year 2000.   The GUI only accepts two-digit dates and
this meant that "00" was interpreted as 1969, before the start of the UNIX
clock.  This has been fixed, though the GUI still only accepts 2 digits.
This one defect is the only one which could have been called a bug, but it
is in a feature very few people use.    And you could still use the Search
facility of the Events workspace as an alternative, so it is a very minor
one indeed.  And it has been fixed.

(3) a sample in the xnmgraph man page for graphing random values fails at
exactly 00/00/00 (the stroke of midnight) because you cannot divide by
zero.  Start it up again at one minute after midnight and it would run just
fine.  This has been fixed so that it runs through midnight too.

Everyone -

Now that we've explored this is detail, I hope everyone will understand why
I say your NetView is Y2K ready now, but there are a couple of minor
problems fixed in the next round of maintenance.   Please do not go to your
managers and tell them that NetView is not Y2K compliant.  It is.  And I am
tired of explaining to my management that I did not tell you it wasn't.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Douglas Staub <Douglas_Staub AT KEYBANK DOT COM> on 08/19/98 02:58:00 PM

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>