nv-l

Re: actionsvr not starting

1998-08-20 08:29:09
Subject: Re: actionsvr not starting
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 08:29:09 -0400
Do a ps -ef | grep actionsvr  .  Do you see one running?  If so, kill it.
This situation is usually caused by actionsvr dying or being killed while
one of his children is still up.  The child then owns the port that the
next actionsvr is trying to get at startup.

That won't tell you why this happened.  If you want to pursue that, I'd
start with /usr/OV/log/nvaction.alog and .blog.
And look for cores in the / directory.

Finally, you do not have to start the GUI with the nv6000 command if you
are having problems with just one "non-essential" daemon.  Issue  ovw
rather than nv6000 and the GUI will start.   Then you can work on the
daemon problem at your leisure.  If ovwdb is down then the GUI will not
start this way either.  If ovtopmd is down, then the statuses will be
wrong.  But actionsvr just executes actions out of rulesets, so he is not
really a show-stopper.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Greg Redder <redder AT yuma.ACNS.ColoState DOT EDU> on 08/19/98 05:00:15 PM

Please respond to "REDDER Gregory J." <redder AT yuma.ACNS.ColoState DOT EDU>