nv-l

Re: NetView for NT 5.0 Rev. A

1998-08-14 08:59:18
Subject: Re: NetView for NT 5.0 Rev. A
From: Will Mason <wmason AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:59:18 -0500
You could very well be correct.  I do know, however,
that it does work through the TEC.  Go ahead and
copy this over the listserv.  I don't mind being countered
at all.  In fact, this is a good way for me to learn new ideas
and it also promotes discussion on the listserv.

Thanks,

Will

James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com wrote:

> [...]
> IIS
> > 3.0). If yes, how do we do it?
>
> NV 5.0 does not work with IIS 4.0, only with IIS 3.0.  NV 5.1 fixes this
> and canwork
> with both.
>
> > 2)      How does NetView resolve hostnames for workstations running for
> e.g.
> > Windows 95. We do not have a DNS. We do have the names defined in WINNS.
> > Does NetView get the name from WINNS or is it from the machine name
> defined
> > (NETBIOS?). The names are not defined in the hosts file.
>
> >From the Windows NT Help program:
>
> Windows Internet Name Service ( WINS )
>
> A name resolution service that resolve Windows NT networking computer
> names to IP addresses in a routed environment. A WINS server handles
> name registrations, queries, and releases.
>
> Discovery is done by a passive and active method.  First the arp cache and
> route tables from the nearest routers are used to start the creation of the
> map,
> then ping is used to discover those IPs which were not in the route table
> or
> cache for systems that are alive.  NetView builds it topological view from
> all
> this info then uses what ever name resolution capabilities exist on the NT
> machine on which it resides.
>
> > 3)      I have the NetView Server installed on NT4.0 . I would like to
> install
> > client(s). Must these clients also be NT ? Is any other system supported
> -
> > ? Windows 95
>
> NetView client must also be installed on an NT 4.0 machine, either
> workstationor
> server.
>
> > 4)      The customer will also be installing Software Artistry on an NT
> platform
> > for helpdesk. How can I integrate it with NetView so trouble tickets can
> > automatically be opened from certain NetView events ?
> >

> This is a two step process at this time.  NetView sends events to the
> Tivoli
> EnterpriseConsole which can then correlate and act upon them.  The TEC then
> sends
> these
> to the Service Desk to create trouble tickets.  A response is generated and
> passed
> back down to the TEC to act upon it.  In a nutshell its not a difficult
> problem, it
> just
> requires that one be running the Tivoli Enterprise Console.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Will
> Will Mason
> NetView Product Evangelist
>
> wmason AT tivoli DOT com
> http://www.tivoli.com
>
> "While the inferior man seeks to put the blame on
> other persons, bewailing his fate, the superior

512-436-8144 office
800-309-6582 alpha pager
3096582 AT skytel DOT com alpha pager ( 200 chars )