nv-l

AIX internal address Q

1998-07-28 12:54:25
Subject: AIX internal address Q
From: "John A. Dorsey" <dorsey AT COLQUITT DOT ORG>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:54:25 -0600
Netview folks,

        I'd like to use an internal address concept, such as is
common in IP routers, for our multi-homed AIX Netview box.  I
want requests coming from any of this server's interfaces to
use this internal address as the source IP address.  This would
have several advantages:

1)      For devices which have an access-list of allowed SNMP
        managers, we could configure just one well-known manager
        IP address (per server).

2)      We could (more easily) reconfigure the manager's network
        interfaces, move the manager to a new subnet, and recover
        from adapter failures.[1]

        I know how to add an alias address to the lo0 interface;
and I can ensure that the internal address is visible to the network
with routed[1], gated, or static routes.  What I don't know is how to
make the netview server use the internal address as its source
address for SNMP gets/sets.

        Can anyone provide help, or even a pointer to an AIX admin
mailing list more appropriate for this question?

                        John Dorsey
                        Network Consultant
                        Browning-Ferris Industries

[1]  There are still issues with the Netview database's association
with an interface, the need to reset_ci when moving, and the fact
that IBM considers all such moves unsupported.  I don't, of course,
speak for IBM (any longer).

[2]  No, we're not using the AIX server as a router, but it can still
be useful for him to talk a routing protocol if you want to do things
like this.