nv-l

Re: problem with segments

1998-07-21 06:21:07
Subject: Re: problem with segments
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc AT IBM DOT NET>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 06:21:07 -0400
You mention hubs but no routers. Do you have a flat IP network? If so,
you may have only one IP subnet.

If not, I've seen this kind of problem when you are using a seedfile
that causes discovery of devices on remote segments without discovering
the routers in between.  On the IBM 9.0.0.0 class A, for example, which
is heavily subnetted, where some of us live as customers on the
production network, where community names are not public/private just to
avoid multiple Netviews banging on routers, if we point to a reachable
subnet several hops away and cannot talk snmp to any of the intervening
router interfaces, we often get a "9" subnet with all kinds of stuff in
it because Netview can't initially pick up the mask and makes
assumptions about all the class A addresses it finds.

And the append below is correct that LNM uses bridging and spanning tree
to display layer 2 topology, but that has no relationship to your IP
network.

I think you need to make sure your routers are being discovered.

Hope that helps.