nv-l

Re: Have you heard something about Compuware? Ecotools?

1998-07-17 15:49:40
Subject: Re: Have you heard something about Compuware? Ecotools?
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber AT USAA DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:49:40 -0500
We have the EcoScope product, which is essentially a Sniffer that works from
the application layer down, as opposed to Network Associates' (formerly
Network General) product which works from the physical layer up.  Compuware
touts EcoScope as a "Sniffer on steroids".  I'm not sure it's that good, but
it has proved very useful to us in our network.  We have both token-ring and
Ethernet probes, but would really like an ATM probe which is not yet
available.

We have had some problems as well, but they have all been related to the
network interface card and drivers.  The EcoScope software itself has
performed well.  It could probably be compared to RMON2 probes and software.
One of the good features about it is its reporting.  It uses MS-Access, and
comes with all the Access queries, and reporting code built in.  It does not
include the Access product itself.  With the Office97 version of Access you
can even publish the reports in HTML for the web.