nv-l

interface labels

1998-07-15 07:31:38
Subject: interface labels
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:31:38 -0400
Peter, first, understand that 'map' refers to the WHOLE map, everything you see
when you
bring up the user interface; all of the different views are submaps.  The
default map is called
'default'. You may have more than one map, and the function you are describing
would have
to be done on each map. It stays that way until you or someone else changes it
back.
When you use 'File..describe map', it has no effect to select something. If you
use
'Edit..Modify/Describe...Submap, it would apply to the submap that is open at
the time,
not the one 'below' the object you have selected.

I have used the function you are describing many times, and it always appears
to me that
all node submaps (the ones containing interface cards) are affected. One thing
to keep in
mind, though: The function you describe is for the control of the IP Map
application. That
application controls the topology under the IP Internet symbol. The other
topologies on
the Root submap are provided by other applications. Perhaps the views you are
seeing
with unchanged labels are in those topologies?

Here's another idea: maybe you have done some cutting and pasting that is not
really
legal, and the nodes are no longer being managed by the IP Map application. In
that
case, maybe the change you specify is not being applied to those nodes. There
is a
very precise description of allowed customizations in the Admin Guide.
Especially be
on the lookout for nodes that 'float' in the User Plane, rather than being
stuck down
flat on the Application Plane, a sure sign that you have illegally cut/pasted.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 07-15-98

NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU on 07-15-98 05:47:29 AM
Please respond to NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU