nv-l

Re: Source of subnetmask on NetView server with 3 interfaces

1998-07-10 13:52:48
Subject: Re: Source of subnetmask on NetView server with 3 interfaces
From: Kodet Michael <kodet AT SYSCAE DOT CZ>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:52:48 +0200
Hi,
netmon start with ICMP address mask request for the new devices. AIX
since version 4 have network option, which
is default off. You can changed this parametr via "no" command. This
option have to be set after each reboot.
Normally, such kind of options are in /etc/rc.net file.
Ex.    no icmpaddressmask=1
May be, it can help you.
mk

-----------------

-----------------

but until now I didn't have success.

> 1)  snmpwalk for the NetView server worked as expected
>
> 2)  the configuration change in /etc/snmpd.conf
>
>         community public
# original entry for readOnly
>         community public        127.0.0.1       255.255.240.0
# change to obtain the correct netmask

> didn't change the situation. The command 'ovobjprint -s' for the
NetView server still showed me the netmask    255.0.0.0 .

> After I changed the configuration back to the original state I
disabled the DNS for name resolution and obtained a bad result:

> After the a restart of the NetView GUI I didn't get the 'IP Internet'
ICON and all the others remain blue.

> Now my 2 resulting questions:
>
> 1 ) Where does NetView get the subnetmask for it's first network
interface from.

> 2) what happend with NetView when no IP Internet ICON is shown
>
> Once ageain thanx in advance for any hints
>
> B. Kammerstetter
>
> ----------

Bernhard
> > Sent: Friday, June 26, 1998 5:24 AM
> > To: NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
> > Subject: wrong subnetmask after discovery
> >

> > Hello outhere in netland,
> >
> > after a pretty nice installation of TME 10 Framework and NetView
> > V5.0 a confusing situation after the automitic discovery occured:
> >
> > The NetView-Server machine, a node on a RS/6000 SP2 System with
> > AIX 4.2, has 3 interfaces:
> >
> > en0     10.141.80.5     255.255.255.0
> > en1     10.140.64.2     255.255.240.0
> > ssw     10.141.81.5     255.255.255.0
> >
> > The NetView machine does'nt appear in Network 10.140.64 as
> > expected but within a network 10! The SNMP browser shows the
> > correct interfaces, ip-addresses and subnet masks but 'Display
> > object information' for the symbol of the NetView-node within the
> > Manager Submap show only one interface with subnet mask
255.0.0.0!!!!