nv-l

Re: Inline script and Event Correlation

1998-07-08 12:05:30
Subject: Re: Inline script and Event Correlation
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:05:30 -0400
Are you really talking about an In-line action?

Setting a MIB variable is not the kind of thing that should be done with an
inline script.  Inline actions hold up all event processing while they
complete and this one involves handing off to another process (snmpd) and
waiting for a result.  No user-defined inline actions should be the sort of
thing that takes more than 10 seconds to complete.

My advice is re-design this processing, perhaps splitting it into multiple
rulesets so an inline operation can be avoided.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Douglas_Staub AT KEYBANK DOT COM on 07/08/98 11:12:16 AM

Please respond to NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU