nv-l

Re: Backing up Netview 4.1 AIX Databases

1998-07-08 09:43:53
Subject: Re: Backing up Netview 4.1 AIX Databases
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:43:53 -0400
Since many users do this already, I was expecting someone else to tell you
their procedures, but I can tell you that this is easily accomplised.  What
you must do is stop at least netmon and snmpCollect, and then backup the
entire /usr/OV/databases/openview  directory.  All of it.  The object
database, topology database, and map datbase are all tied together and
should not be dealt with separately.

There are several ways to backup /usr/OV/databases/openview.  You can use
the AIX backup and restore commands. You can also use tar, but as these are
sparse file systems, restoring with tar will cause them to use more space
than they did originally.  To avoid this you can use pax to restore them.

For example, you could do this

 cd /usr/OV/databases/openview
 tar -cvf <filename> *                        this tars up everything into
your file

 pax -vf <filename>     (same as tar -tvf <filename>)   you can use pax or
tar to see the contents of your file

 pax -rp e -f <filename>  (like tar -xvf <filename>)         restore with
pax and don't forget the 'e' option to restore the permissions.

When you restore all the daemons should be down.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

JMutrux AT GENAM DOT COM on 07/02/98 04:22:49 PM

Please respond to NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU